Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Interactivity #1

     The three most influential communications technologies in my life are my cell phone, social networking and my iPod. Having viewed both of the videos, I can definitely relate to the students who discussed not only how reliant they are on technology, but also how much of an impact it has had in their lives.
     I am attached to my cell phone, as I always have it with me, and I honestly don’t know what I would do without it. I rely on it very heavily and send too many text messages to count. Cell phones have made communication so much more convenient, and I cannot even recall how we survived as long as we did without text messaging, let alone without cell phones whose only function was to make phone calls. In today’s society it is especially easier to become attached to a cell phone due to the latest models that have been released that can give us access to relatively anything we wish to know faster than we ever could have imagined. Between internet access and never-ending apps, we can become lost in the world of our cell phones, so much so that communication has become much more impersonal, and we find ourselves lacking the skills to hold conversations in person. However, the information that I can access on my phone, as well as all of the aspects of it that I can incorporate into my daily life to make things easier and more organized, truly make having this piece of technology very worthwhile.
     Social networking is also a very big part of my life. Facebook and Twitter are the two sites that I am a very frequent user of, and I cannot imagine life without them. Facebook is a great way to keep in touch and reconnect with family and friends that I otherwise might not be able to. Twitter, as well as Facebook, provides me with endless amounts and vast arrays of information that might otherwise go unknown. I don’t think I would know half as much of the information that I do (whether important news or something trivial) had I not made either of these accounts. I thoroughly enjoy being able to utilize all of the options that Facebook and Twitter offer and cannot go a day without viewing both sites multiple times.
     My iPod is also very influential in my life, in that, it provides me with all of the music I enjoy that I can have access to no matter where I am or what I’m doing. The music that can be found on my iPod expresses who I am and what I love. All of the songs have some kind of meaning to me and each evokes a thought or a memory that might otherwise be subdued in my unconscious. The selection of music available at my fingertips provides me with inspiration and allows me to create new ideas for dances when I choreograph musicals and overall, provides me with a renewed sense of emphasis for my passions.
     Having viewed the video “Olivia’s Story,” not only can I relate to her constant use of technology, but I can only imagine how much my future students can relate to her story as well. I feel as though we sometimes take for granted just how much influence technology has in our everyday lives. As a society, we become so attached to these forms of technology that we can seldom imagine how different life would be without them. This factor plays a crucial role in the lives of students today, and it is vital for teachers to be aware of exactly how much technology students are accustomed to using in their daily lives. As a teacher, I feel it is important to take from Olivia’s story the fact that she, as well as her fellow classmates, feel very comfortable with completing assignments and projects online, as they are most likely very familiar with the computerized world. It is important for teachers to realize that their students are surrounded by so much technology that it is both helpful and harmful. Technology is useful, in that it allows for more convenient ways of distributing assignments and in some aspects allows for more creativity with the vast amount of options available at one’s fingertips. However, technology can also be detrimental, in that online social networking sites and text messages, while convenient and entertaining, can become a severe distraction that has the utmost potential in taking precedent over more important tasks such as homework assignments and projects. And although these distractions are always present, it will still be quite beneficial to utilize different forms of technology in the classroom.
     Having also viewed the second video, the widespread use of different forms of technologies was also quite apparent.  I can definitely relate to the students who stated that they relied on their cell phones and laptops, being essentially lost without them. The second video was filled with students who discussed their own technological passions, but the one student who stuck out to me the most was the girl who stated that she does not like the use of abbreviations such as “lol” and “omg” or the ever popular “u” as a substitute for “you.” I feel that these abbreviations attribute to students’ laziness and lack of understanding words in their unabbreviated forms. I feel that the students featured in this video accurately represent students that I will be teaching in the future, and I believe that if I can incorporate technology in innovative ways in the classroom that will help aid in my students’ understanding of certain materials, I will absolutely do so, as I feel that the students will repsond more enthusiastically when applying lessons to forms of technology with which they are familiar. However, I do believe that not all emphasis should be placed on technology, so as to encourage students to work on their own without immediately relying on high-speed technology that virtually does the work for you. Although extremely helpful and beneficial, we must also be conscious of the adverse effects of technologies as well.

1 comment:

  1. Jessica, this is a very good blogpost. I appreciate the depth of your connections across the content of the videos—especially the ways in which you notice the seemingly small but important details of the students' experiences. I would like to see you reflect on the potential negative influences of the 3 technologies you selected. You did reference some negative outcomes when talking about the students' experiences, but I'm wondering how you reconcile those trade-offs in your own personal uses of "the most influential technologies in your life up to this point." That would deepen your autobiography and lend it more credibility, as if we only look at the positive outcomes of technology, we aren't really learning as much as we should. I hope this is helpful feedback.

    ReplyDelete