Sunday, April 22, 2012

Fundraisers to Improve Technology in Westfield High School

     Although this article is a few months old, I found it to be inspiring. To improve technology in the Westfield school district, a raffle was held to help raise funds to improve the technology in Westfield High School. Also, an online survey was conducted so as to determine the need for more up-to-date technology in the classroom. As a result of each of these events, 10 projectors were purchased for the school and installed. Also, it was decided that they would a second raffle and a subsequent fundraiser to help bring more technology into the school, first by way of replacing the computer libraries. The addition of projectors will absolutely benefit both students and teachers alike in the classroom and replacing the library computers to newer models will definitely help the students, especially when they are required to complete assignments and projects online as well as have access to sites for research projects.
     Having up-to-date technology in the classroom is basically vital in today’s society. So often, I believe, we focus on the school’s that are adding iPads and such to their classrooms and often the schools that don’t even have projectors, such as Westfield High School, fall through the cracks. I think it’s important to put schools such as Westfield in the spotlight just as much as we put schools that have all the latest technology in the spotlight. It really is a disappointment that some schools can afford to add the latest technology to their curriculum while others cannot, relying on fundraisers and raffles to acquire even the most basic form of technology for their classrooms. I feel as though all classrooms should have the exact same technologies so that some students aren’t benefitting more than others. I am disheartened that this isn’t exactly a realistic theory, but at least having the most basic forms of technology should be granted to every school. Is there any way to ensure that every school receives technologies for their students? Should it be a requirement for every school to at least have up-to-date computers? How can we fix the problem of some schools receiving a multitude of technologies while other schools cannot afford to do so?

3 comments:

  1. Jessica,

    Thanks for sharing this article with us. I try to think what I would do if I end up teaching in a district where technology is outdated or nonexistent. When I was shadowing a teacher for CURR 210, she told me that she spent her own money to buy a computer and projector for her classroom. I had always assumed that I would do the same but this is a great alternative. By fundraising, a lot of money can be made which can then be used to buy many technological devices. This way, many classrooms will be able to benefit instead of just one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, it's interesting that you brought up the fact that you wonder what you would do if you were placed in a district that doesn't have updated or any technology. Before I found this article, I never really gave it much thought. After reading your comment it made me remember when I shadowed a teacher for that class. She happened to be the tech coordinator for the school, and she showed me a computer lab with brand new computers. To my amazement and disappointment, she explained to me that the students in the school hardly ever used the computers. I found it to be so unfortunate that they have access to new technology but hardly ever use it. Each classroom had computers, but the day that I shadowed my teacher, she spent the majority of it running from classroom to classroom trying to fix programs on each computer. How disappointing that the teachers did not even try to incorporate technology into their curriculum when they have the very resources they need. I agree with your point though, that fundraising is a great solution to aid those schools that do not have technology but want to incorporate it within their curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica,

    Your article brings up several interesting points. I work in a district where technology is very difficult to incorporate in lessons. There are two smart boards, a few dozen computers, and minimal projectors. I find it really frustrating to use technology in my lessons because there is little to no freedom for me to do such. I would love to have the necessary resources because it would make things much easier. I like that fundraisers can help schools get more access to technological resources because it outlines a spark of hope. I hope there is a day where districts are similar in using technologies and the gap is closed off slightly.

    ReplyDelete